Monday, October 4, 2010

Mexican and Japanese people of the 50's

I've been collecting a lot of popular magazines from the 1950's and 60's and it breaks my heart that there are zero people of color in ANY of the magazines. I decided to do a little research about what some of the people from my cultures were lookin' like in those days.


This is a Japanese house wife. Still abiding by the American 1950's gender roles.








These are men that are working on a film crew.










Japanese prostitutes.








A lovely Japanese pinup girl.




















A Mexican woman in 1960. Lookin' so beautiful!















A dance in Mexico.


















Mexican American mother and daughter.








I'm from California and in Los Angeles members of the Mexican American community are still heavily involved in Rockabilly culture. Here are some beauties from Los Angeles.

































...And apparently there is a Rockabilly scene in Tokyo, too. That's pretty awesome!














4 comments:

  1. hey pachuco! yeah the rockabilly scene is way strong still. cats in asia are dedicated to the rockabilly life. i think you can still find videos of their bike clubs getting together and dancing and rocking the biggest quiffs you've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures. I have a photoshoot for the Miss Cal pageant on Saturday that is supposed to be a modern retro theme of any era of our choice. I did the same thing and looked up old magazine covers. My dress looks like the pokadot one in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics! I often think about looking up pics of Filipino- Americans in order to gain more insight on life from the 70's. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like these pics! I knew that there was a huge Rockabilly scene in Japan. Remember in the movie Kill Bill when she goes to Japan and that cute 60's retro band is playing the club?!

    ReplyDelete